This is not unusual as these two types of mattresses are the most common and the most popular. An innerspring is usually the go-to mattress when you have been using it for most of your life. Familiarity with a certain type of technology plays a huge part when buying something.
Memory foam, on the other hand, has been consistently gaining popularity since the start of the century. It has become the most sought after mattress type due to its advantages and what it brings to the table when it comes to comfort.
Innerspring Mattress Pros and Cons
- Wide availability - There are thousands of different innerspring mattresses to choose from. This is because the technology has been around for a very long time and it has been effective in what it does, to support sleepers.
- Familiarity with consumers - Since it has been around for a long time, most consumers are very familiar with it. This makes buying a spring mattress an easy decision.
- Great for sexual activities - Innerspring mattresses provide ample amount of bounce and this makes it the best choice for partners that are sexually involved as it makes movement easier.
- Fairly cheap - I mean, there are luxury innerspring mattresses out there that are very expensive but if you compare innerspring mattresses and memory foam mattresses with similar specifications, the spring mattress will almost always be cheaper due to using materials that are not as expensive.
- Possible noise - Using steel springs in the support layer of the mattress will undoubtedly make some noise as it ages. The steel will not always be in "brand new" condition so as time passes by and as you sleep on it, the mattress will probably produce some noise.
- Motion isolation can be a problem - If you are sharing your mattress with another person, you don't want to disrupt their sleep with your movement. Some innerspring mattresses are very poor with regards to this area as compared to all foam mattresses.
- Lifespan or durability may not be the best - There are great innerspring mattresses out there that can last a very long time but if we're talking about budget or cheap spring mattresses, the chances of them being durable is not good. For luxury innerspring mattresses, they can last a long time, depending on the construction and the materials used. For a list of the best innerspring mattresses, you can visit http://www.mattressreviewshq.net/innerspring-mattress-reviews/
- Very comfortable - The main selling point of memory foam is that it offers superior comfort, as opposed to other types. The reason for this is that memory foam is a specialized foam that contours to your body when you lay down. Your body will be "in" the foam, making it very comfortable.
- Motion isolation is very good - The transfer of motion is minimal because when you move while you sleep, the foam absorbs the motion, making it impossible for the person on the other side to feel it. This is a great choice if you will be sharing your mattress with someone.
- Noise is impossible - Since this is an all foam mattress, noise will be non existent. The only noise that can come from your bed is from your foundation or frame if it they are squeaky.
- Also widely available - Since it has gone up in popularity during the recent years, more and more models are available to chooses from. More and more companies are starting to manufacture their own models with varying features that will cater to anyone.
- Heat trapping - Memory foam, while very comfortable, is not perfect. One of the major issues with it is that it can be a heat trap. Since you are "in" the foam, it can get really hot while you sleep. To counter this, you should have the AC running or you must have a well ventilated room. Since this is a major issue, most memory foam manufacturers are thinking up ways to counter it and one that they came up with is the "GEL memory foam."
- Off gassing or chemical smells - When you first get your mattress, you will be met with this unpleasant chemical smell. This is due to the way memory foam is manufactured. It involves certain chemicals in its production and when you get the mattress, these chemical smells will still be there. It will dissipate over time, from days to weeks. It's not a serious health hazard so it's not a big deal breaker but it can be quite annoying.
- Hard to move around - Getting in or out of bed can be difficult with memory foam, especially if you choose the highest density possible as you will sink into deeply to the mattress. This is worsened if you are of a heavier or larger build. There's no getting around it, you just have to adjust.
Buying either an innerspring or a memory foam mattress will be up to your personal preference. The only thing that is important is that you choose a good quality mattress that will last a long time. A good mattress can basically make or break your health as sleeping is a necessity that everyone should get enough of.